Our 2016 Battlefield Archaeology Field School is about to begin!
The annual Pre-contact and Battlefield UConn Field Schools will begin the field season in a few weeks at the Mashantucket Pequot Museum & Research Center. They will learn archaeology field techniques and methods to apply at pre-contact and later historic sites.
Space is still available! For more information or to enroll click here: Battlefield Field School 2016 revised !
Students will learn the following skills:
- establish a Cartesian grid across the site;
- define the boundaries of the village through traditional excavation and metal detection;
- learn how to complete about 80 shovel test pits (a 5o-cm by 50-cm square unit that is excavated with a shovel, 10 cm deep at a time);
- excavate three 10-meter trenches across the village site;
- use a metal detector, and practice our tried-and-true techniques from the Yankee Territory Coinshooters;
- and map a site.
Photos from our fieldwork:
These are identified objects from battlefield sites: